Pages

February 21, 2017

Dear Daughters


I started these "dear daughters" posts a while back and decided to start them up again this year. As crazy and busy as life can get, my goal more than ever is to focus my days and time intentionally. I know every parent says it, but I'm reminded each day of how fast these little ones are growing up. Each new word, or sentence, or skill makes my mama heart burst, never wanting to miss a thing! With the time flying by so fast, I knew that grabbing a couple extra minutes just to take an intentional snap of them each month was a tangible way to "hold onto" these fleeting moments. 

So I grabbed the camera and told the girls I wanted to take a couple of pictures. Almost immediately they ran to their rooms to grab all the blankets and stuffed animals their little arms could hold just to be a part of the photo op! I didn't refuse and went with it. Something I'm trying to do with these portraits is to let go of the urge to make every photo "pretty" or picture perfect looking. I want it to be as real and authentic as it is in real life, so if a pile of un-color-coordinated toys is what the moment brings, then so be it. 


Dear Raleigh, 

Your sparkling blue eyes still stun me. I always dreamt of a blue eyed child and since the moment you were born you've captured my heart with them. I look at you each morning wondering how on earth it is possible for you to look more grown up over night! I am learning so much from you right now. Learning how to be humble. Learning how to be kind. Learning how to treat others with love. You teach me these things because this is who you are.  We've had our challenges together more recently as you're growing more independent. It puts me in a place of humility when I see how my flaws are effecting you. I want so badly for you to grow up with the "perfect" life because of how much I love you, but at the same time I know that having the perfect/easy life doesn't come with the depth or maturity I hope for you to embrace. You have an intentional spirit, one that would rather be with people than be alone--I hope that never changes, but only makes you more loveable and safe for others to be around as you grow. Our one on one conversations lately have me feeling so in awe of the little girl you are. You take care of me and watch out for your sisters and are the sweetest soul to be with. I hope you know how cherished you are, how much this mama loves you with every part of my being. You are my deepest joy!



Dear Jocilynn, 

This picture is the epitome of everything you're about right now-- dresses, blankets, your bunny, and PINK! That look on your face shows the sassy yet sweet I'm seeing in you more and more. No one has made me laugh and driven me crazy in the same moment as well as you do. Yet you're sweetness is still so true about you. You are spunky and loud and hilarious. You have a passion for everything you own. You're becoming more and more articulate and its so funny watching you try to explain yourself in your best two year old manner. I love our moments together, when you snuggle up next to be as I tuck you in bed and ask me to sing you a song-- I could be the worst singer in the world and your face would still light up with a smile every time. I love who you are becoming. You are my sweetest delight!


Dear Jaelynn, 

That look sums up your personality to a tee! The perfect combination of humor and stubbornness. I'm not quite sure what it is just yet, but our bond feels like its growing more recently. All you want to do right now is cuddle and be with me. I catch you watching me quietly as though you're figuring out life through me. In an instant you can make me laugh like no other and that laugh of yours is the most contagious thing on the planet! Watching you grow up is a delight. You are the first person to be concerned when someone else is sad or crying. You get excited about the littlest things and they bring you the most joy--like finding the moon in the sky each night or listening to the trash truck come down the street. Your joy is embedded into your personality and it teaches me to pay attention to the little treasures this life has to hold. I could watch you for hours. You light up a room whenever you're in it. You are someone I always want to be around. 


Dear Sagey girl, 

This has become your permanent nickname now and that smile of yours wears the name proud! If I counted how many times in a day you smiled I wouldn't be able to keep track. You are a beauty with a love for people unlike any other. All of a sudden you're walking 100 percent now, keeping up with your sisters as best you can. You never want to be away from them. Watching you look up to them and play with them is a sweet gift to me. You're communicating with your hands and noises now and its still so fun to watch you learn something new--even after we've done this four times now! I can already tell you are a strong willed one, but there's also something so gentle about your personality that makes you so easy to love! I love holding you and "talking" to you and learning you. You are my precious gift!

Love, 
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment