Pages

August 28, 2019

Our Favorite Summer Dessert: Fresas con Crema


I have a huge sweet tooth when it hits about 9 o'clock at night (mostly for ice cream), but when we had no ice cream in sight one night I scrounged around our fridge to see what I could come up with. A handful of strawberries, cream and some sugar is all I could find which reminded me of one of mine and Shane's favorite Mexican desserts "fresas con crema".  So I googled a recipe for the simple dessert and basically went from there making up my own version as I went along based on what I had on hand.  After a few times of making it and adjusting it to our liking, we now have a new family dessert we all love (and has been highly requested around here this summer). The best part is that its easy enough that I had each of the girls help take part in a simple step along the way of making it so it was a sweet family activity to create together as well. 




It's sometimes a challenge finding time to give each of our kids focused attention and time--as you can probably imagine with 5 (almost 6) kids running around. Shane and I have made a commitment since last year to each take a kid out on a special date once a week. Although life gets crazy and schedules get flipped sometimes, we try our best to make this a priority. I've also found that another way to give them sweet time together is allowing them to help out in the kitchen with preparing a meal every once in a while. They each have loved the individual time it brings for us, even if just for a few minutes. And I love that they are eager to learn about what I'm making and how I'm doing it along the way. Giving them these moments is a gift for me as much, if not more, as it is for them. Its something I hope they remember when they're grown up and in the kitchen with their little ones doing the same thing. 






Now, I KNOW I'm no food blogger nor am I trying to be, but since I posted it on my Instagram last week, I've had a handful of people asking for this recipe and I'm so happy to pass it along for you to enjoy! So here is all you need to put together this creamy yummy special treat...

What you need: 
-2 cups fresh strawberries (give or take, depending on how many you are making for)
-1 1/2 cups heavy cream
-2 tablespoons milk (if you want your cream a little thinner)
-1/4 cup sugar
-1 tablespoon vanilla extract
optional toppings:
-coconut flakes
-granola (this is one of my favorites to use)
-chopped pecans

Directions:
-Cut strawberries in halves or quarters (depending on the size you like) and place in a bowl
-pour sugar over strawberries and mix, coating all of the fruit in sugar
-let strawberries sit for at least 5 minutes for sugar to absorb
-after 5 minutes are up, pour over heavy cream and milk
(optional tip: I like mine extra creamy so I usually pour in as much to barely cover the top of the strawberries in the bowl)
-add vanilla extract for flavor, then mix all together
-if you'd like your dessert colder, let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to become chilled, otherwise you can eat it right away! 
-once chilled, divide into bowls and top with optional coconut flakes and granola (which I highly recommend ;)) and serve!






I hope you enjoy it as much as we have! If you decide to try it out on our own or with your kiddos please let me know what you think. You can always tag me on Instagram or comment here below. I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment: